April 15, 2016

Reptile Scouts // An Interview With Sophie Argetsinger and Alyse Knorr


 While doing a bit of browsing on Etsy for reptile related goodies, I came across something truly exciting.  The Reptile Scouts Official Member Starter Pack.  I had no idea such a thing existed, but the image showed an illustration booklet, a sew on patch, and illustrated stickers.  I clicked on it, read the description, added it to my cart, and proceeded to check out.  After completing my purchase, and finding the website link, I made my way over to the blog.



"Reptile Scouts was founded by Sophie Argetsinger and Alyse Knorr in 2015, after they both realized all they ever really wanted to do in life was earn cool merit badges for reptilian related activities.  The reptile scouts community is open to anyone and everyone-as long as you're down with gators and snakes and lizards and turtles.  There's no mandatory membership process, meetings, or requirements.  We're just here for the fun (and the crocodiles)."-Reptile Scouts
I can't even find the words to describe how overjoyed I was to have stumbled across this incredibly fun community.  I explored the website for days while I (impatiently) waited for my package to arrive.  It got here faster than I expected, and I spent the rest of the evening showing and telling my boyfriend all about it.  A few days later, I contacted Sophie about doing an interview here on the blog, and here we are!  Let's find out more about Reptile Scouts!

Let's begin with an introduction, can you tell us a little bit about yourselves?
Sophie: Hi!  My name is Sophie Argetsinger.  I work as an illustrator and book designer in Holyoke, MA.
Alyse: Hey there-I'm Alyse Knorr, a poet and professor currently living in Anchorage, AK.

What inspired or influenced the two of you to form the organization?
Alyse: Last summer, while I was on a writing residency in the Everglades, I texted Sophie pictures of all the reptiles I saw, and we discovered that we both share a serious passion for gators, snakes, turtles, etc.  We jokingly talked about setting up a scouting organization so we could earn patched for all our reptile activities, and then that quickly turned into the official Reptile Scouts!

There are a total of 5 level badges that participants can earn.  For those who are brand new to Reptile Scouts; what are they, and what are the requirements for earning them?
Sophie: The levels are: Egg, Tortoise, Komodo Dragon, Saltwater Crocodile, and T. Rex.  Everyone starts out as an egg just for joining the Scouts.  You move up a level every time you earn 3 merit badges.  To become a T. Rex, you also have to complete an independent project of your own design.

I discovered Reptile Scouts when I came across the Official Member Starter Pack on Etsy.  Could you tell us what's currently available in the shop?  Do you have plans for expanding the Reptile Scouts product line?
Sophie: Right now we have the Official Handbook, Reptile Scouts membership patches, merit badge buttons, as well as the starter pack available.  We also had some bandannas for a while, but those are sold out now, and who knows if I'll make more?  I think it would be really cool to make shirts if people were into that. 

The artwork for Reptile Scouts is so charming and full of detail.  How long did it take for you to complete all of the artwork for the website and the handbook?
Sophie: Thank you!  I think it took me about a month to finish the artwork.  It was one of my favorite projects that I've worked on-it was really great to get to think of creative ways to illustrate badges like "Gatorade" and "Snake Charmer".

While we're on the subject of artwork, one of my favorite Reptile Scouts submissions is the "Guts" illustrations that you created of the Sea Turtle and Crocodile.  Do you have any tips or advice for fellow Reptile Scouts working towards their Guts Badge?  Are there any specific resources you would recommend for learning more about reptile anatomy?
Sophie: Yeah, I think this one was more tricky than we were anticipating, in terms of finding reference materials.  I ended up using an old Biology textbook that I had lying around, and also going to a local college library that I'm lucky enough to have access to (they have a great science library).  I think I would recommend getting materials from the library, if you can-ask a reference librarian if you don't know where to start.  Books are the best!

I love how diverse and creative the Merit Badge lineup is.  Are there any that you haven't received submissions for yet?  
Alyse: Only Dinorama!  I, too, love the Merit Badges-it was Sophie's idea to mix scholar badges with artist badges, so you could get a nice balance of learning and creating.  And Sophie's drawings are so amazing-of course it makes you want to earn a badge!  Some of them are real challenges, too.  It's amazing to see the things Scouts come up with.  

The coveted "T-Rex" level badge requires 9 Merit Badges (including 3 scholarly badges and 3 creative artist badges) and the completion of an individual project.  Currently, how many participants have earned the T-Rex Badge, and on average how long has it taken?
Alyse: To my knowledge, the T-Rex Badge is so coveted and so intense that NO ONE has earned it yet.  I'm getting close, and it's my summer project to make it all the way there.  We really wanted the T-Rex Badge to feel like the "Eagle Scout" or "Gold Award" level intensity of the Boy and Girl Scouts, so that it's super rewarding when you make it there.  I've got to think about what my project will be-a dinner party with an entirely reptile themed menu?  An album of dinosaur songs?  A poetry manuscript about a reptile?  Who knows!

Reptile Scouts has literally become my new favorite activity, and I can't wait to start earning badges.  Do you plan on expanding the current lineup by adding new challenges, badges, or activities?
Sophie: I would definitely be willing to add more badges if Scouts had suggestions for other things that they'd like to see.  We also have contests from time to time for Scouts to win things.  
Alyse: One of our newest additions has been the official Reptile Scouts uniform-buy your own thrift shop denim vest and sew your patches on!

What's been the most rewarding aspect of bringing Reptile Scouts to life?
Sophie: Definitely seeing the creative things Scouts have come up with to complete their badges-some of my favorites have been a video a couple of Scouts made about dinosaur extinction theories (made using dino candies), and the comic strip Alyse called "Slitherin' Sandra" (about a snake who's sad she has no legs).
Alyse: Agreed!  The projects we see are incredible, and it's so much fun to work with Sophie.  Plus, I was never in any scouting organizations growing up (the Girl Scouts didn't appeal to me and I wasn't allowed to be a Boy Scout), so I feel like I'm finally getting a chance to experience this awesome thing I missed out on as a kid!
Sophie: SAME!

Just for fun: do you have a favorite reptile?  If so, what makes it your favorite?
Sophie: It's hard to choose a favorite, but in terms of aesthetics: Marine Iguanas.  That's just a solid, great looking reptile, you know?  Also, they swim in the sea, which is pretty great.  In terms of coolness, the Horned Lizard is up there, because of it's ability to shoot blood out of it's eye sockets.  But also Snapping Turtles are my favorite in terms of what I can around where I live.  Last summer I saw one lurking under water in a pond at Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn; I saw one slowly walking along the bank of the Connecticut River (it looked like it was walking on the moon); and I saw one injured on the side of the road that I live off of (it was taken to a turtle rehabilitation center).  They're just such gigantic and amazing creatures, you can't really believe you're seeing one right in front of you.
Alyse: This is the hardest question ever.  But right now, I'm going to have to say the good old-fashioned Alligator.  I spent a lot of time around gators last summer, and really developed a soft-spot for them.  They are amazingly, incredibly still.  It's easy to almost walk right into one, or overlook one that's directly in front of you, because they are so motionless they barely look alive.  I'm much more of a frenetic, million-miles-a-minute kind of person, so it was very inspiring for me to see their total (kind of spooky) calm presence.  I wrote a bunch of poems about it and will probably always love gators for my memories of them that summer. 

For more about Sophie, visit SophieArgetsinger.com and follow her on Instagram @sargetsi

For more about Alyse, visit AlyseKnorr.com and follow her on Instagram @spikeskywalker12

I hope you enjoyed the interview, and are excited to become a Reptile Scout!  CLICK HERE to head on over to the website for a bit of learning and exploring!  Happy Scouting!

Oh, and don't forget to send an email to reptilescouts@gmail.com for you First Level Badge and a PDF of the Official Handbook!

Post a Comment

On Instagram

© Happy Herping. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.