April 28, 2016

Amphibian Conservation Filmmaking // An Interview With Katie Garrett

Katie Garrett.  Photo by Brandon Greaves.
Katie Garrett is a London-based filmmaker with a background in Zoology.  She began making promotional and educational films for a living in 2012, but her interest in frogs and the tropics led her to join the Honduras Amphibian Rescue and Conservation Center (HARCC).  She hopes to help save frogs by showcasing the animals and the work HARCC is doing in Cusuco National Park, Honduras.  Watch the video below for for an introduction to the project, and then keep reading to learn more about Katie's experiences in the field.



What inspired or influenced you to become involved with HARCC?
Katie: For a while I had wanted to return to Central America and do some conservation work, being interested in amphibians I was naturally concerned by the chytrid crisis and frustrated by the difficulty of tackling it.  I saw an article about HARCC in FrogLog and really liked the sound of it.  It was refreshing to see a group putting themselves out there to find new solutions to a very complex problem, based on long-term research, and with real plans to re-release animals into the wild.  There are also some very dedicated Honduran members of the team and I like that it will very much be based within the country.  I got in touch with Jonathan and luckily they had been looking to make some video content so it worked out well!

How is the film work you're creating for this project different from the work you've done in the past?
Katie: Well the actual filming was very different and had many new challenges for me, a lot more hiking and uneven surfaces than I am used to in London.  Usually I am working a variety of different industries, some of which I know nothing about, and having to very quickly understand what projects or businesses are about and find the best way to communicate that to others.  In this case it was something I had a background in and a passion for, so in some ways I was in my element, putting two very different skills together and feeling quite at home in what I was doing.  I am hoping it will be possible to follow the project long-term, documenting it's progress, and that will be quite new for me.  I'm looking forward to the challenge of editing together something that was filmed over a long period of time.
What new challenges have you been presented with while working in the field?
Katie: It was an interesting mental exercise planning for the trip as I am familiar with tropical field work and comfortable filming on location, but trying to piece the two together to make sure I would be prepared was quite a challenge.  Battery power was my biggest concern (we were without electricity for 6 days and filming at night so needed considerable lighting) but luckily I worried SO much about that before I left that I ended up being OK.  In some ways it was a good thing because I had to really prioritize what I filmed, making sure to think through what footage I needed and only get the best bits.  The main challenge that didn't cross my mind before leaving was that we were constantly traveling up and down streams.  I quickly realized that packing away my camera and tripod between shots was really impractical.  Walking at night over slippery boulders through running water with a camera out on the end of my tripod was a bit scary.  The fact that I manged not to stack it and either smash or submerge my camera on the trip is something that still amazes me.
Have you experienced any scary or dangerous moments?
Katie: Fortunately the field-trip went smoothly, we had a few terrifyingly steep truck journeys on slippery roads with ravines, but luckily the drivers were amazing and we stayed safe.  The real danger we faced was on our first proper day off.  Turns out swimming off the coast of Tela in winter is a real idea.  I wouldn't advise it.

What has it been like to work with the locals?  How do they feel about frog decline?
Katie: We had two guides from the nearby town who were absolutely amazing, but there was one man we spoke to who really made our trip.  He is the only person living in the core of Cusuco (he was there before it was even given national park status), and at 82 years old he still walks miles to town every day from his little forest shack, which is like something out of a fairy-tale.  We were lucky enough to be able to interview him about the changes he has seen to wildlife and the environment over the decades he has lived there.  It was fascinating and worrying, but really necessary to hear voices like this:

Can we look forward to more videos in the near future?
Katie: As part of our fundraising efforts, we have a kickstarter-style video which gives an introduction to the project, and throughout the campaign we are releasing short films every week on different topics.  I am also currently working on a longer documentary about the story of HARCC so far, for wildlife film festivals later in the year, so have a look at the website: FrogRescue.com or follow us on your social media platform of choice for updates!

What has been the most rewarding aspect of your experience with HARCC so far?
Katie: Personally, being in the field again meant a lot to me, particularly in a place as stunning as Cusuco, it is a truly beautiful and not very well known place.  But what I didn't expect was how much I would be affected by the incredible enthusiasm and dedication of the HARCC team.  They have, and still are, coming up against huge challenges, but meeting them with a patient determinism that I really admire.  I'm hugely proud to be a little part of it and to be able to do something to help them achieve their goal.  
Brandon Greaves, Jonathan Kolby, Sara Ramirez, & Ryan Marshall.  Photo by Brandon Greaves.
What can readers do to help?
Katie: The foundations are in place, but to move forward we really need your help.  We are running a crowdfunding campaign at the moment to really get the project off the ground.  It's all about lots of people giving a little bit so please do check out the indigogo page and consider supporting us, even if it is just a few pennies it will really make a difference.  Thank you! CLICK HERE TO DONATE NOW!

Thank you so much Katie for sharing your hard work, experiences, and behind-the-scenes look at the efforts being made by the Honduras Amphibian Rescue and Conservation Center.

Visit FrogRescue.com for a more detailed look at HARCC and to learn more about the species they're working to save.

Post a Comment

On Instagram

© Happy Herping. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.