February 27, 2017

Memorial Park Turtles // Rockport, Texas

For anyone with a love and appreciation for turtles, it's fair to assume that this would be a favorite place to visit.  These are the turtles of Memorial Park in Rockport, Texas...and they are the reason I visit this park several times throughout the week while vacationing there.  A large number of Red-Eared Sliders (Trachemys scripta elegans) and Guadalupe Spiny Softshell Turtles (Apalone spinifera guadalupensis) all call this pond home.


The first photo, along with the one above, were both taken a couple of years ago during my second visit, and as you can see...there were an abundance of them!  As I'm sure you can understand, I was overwhelmed with excitement at the number of turtles in this pond and the enthusiasm the community has for feeding them.  Though I didn't see nearly as many this time as I have in the summer months in the past, I wasn't disappointed with the number and variety on this occasion.

How handsome is this Red-Eared Slider up above?!  If you're unfamiliar with how to determine the sex of Red-Eared Sliders...one way of accurately doing so is by observing the length of the claws on the front feet.  As you can see, this little guys claws are noticeably long and it's pretty safe to say this turtle is a male.  For a comparison photo and other ways to determine male or female...check out this link!

I will never tire of observing Softshell Turtles, and this particular group of Guadalupe Spiny Softshells were sporting the most beautiful coloring sprinkled with the lighter colored spots on the carapace.  So pretty!  Also, do they not have the cutest little noses?!?!



I searched and searched for at least 30 minutes to try and identify this turtle.  I've spotted several in this pond each and every time I've visited, and the freckle-lined pattern on the head has tripped me up when trying to make a positive ID.  I finally posted this photo in the Texas Field Herpers group on Facebook and learned that it is a Melanistic Red-Eared Slider!  Melanism is the development of the dark-pigment (melanin) in the skin.  This particular turtle was probably not born melanistic, but instead has developed it as part of it's natural aging process.  Pretty cool, right?  Learning things like this is one of the many reasons why Herping is so fun and interesting!


I hope you enjoyed these turtle photos, and until next time...Happy Herping!

Post a Comment

On Instagram

© Happy Herping. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.